Boozy Macaroni and Cheese Dog Casserole
YIELDS: 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 0 HOURS 30 MINS
- 1 lb. Booze Dogs’ Hot Dogs, either bourbon, gin, or rum (slice into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all- purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cups sharp Cheddar, shredded
- Boil large pot of water. Salt water and cook macaroni about 7 minutes
- Preheat broiler
- While pasta cooks, heat a large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, then add Booze Dogs’ Hot Dogs and brown on both sides. Remove the dogs with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined surface.
- Add another tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and the butter.
- After butter melts, cook onions 4 to 5 minutes, then add flour and cook another minute.
- Add chicken broth and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in milk and bring to a bubble, then season the sauce with salt, pepper, and stir in the mustard and ketchup. Lower heat and add 2 cups of the cheese. Stir to melt, 1 minute. Adjust to taste.
- Drain pasta thoroughly. Combine pasta and hot dogs with sauce and coat evenly then pour into large casserole and top with remaining cheese. Melt and brown cheese under broiler, 2 minutes. Serve.